U.S. Grand Master Fiddle Champion, Daniel Carwile has competed in virtually every major fiddle competition in the United States. He has been crowned the Tennessee Valley Old-Time Fiddlers Convention “Fiddle King” an amazing 7 times. Other conquests include Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee State Championships as well as Lake Superior, North Cascades, Colorado Open, Grand Lake National, and The World Series of Fiddling Championships. Daniel can often be found in the judge’s seat, recently judging the Indiana State, Colorado Rocky Mountain Fiddle Championships, Oregon State, Wyoming State, Northwest Regional, U.S. Grand Master Fiddle Contest and the National Old-Time Fiddler’s Contest in Weiser, Idaho.
Join Talent Forge. Learn from Daniel.
Daniel has performed with dozens of accomplished musicians such as Tim O’Brien, Mark O’Connor, Bela Fleck, Alasdair Fraser, The Moody Blues, Martin Hayes, The Battlefield Band, Bobby Hicks, Natalie MacMaster, Buddy Spicher, and many others. In a tribute to Roy Acuff, Daniel performed on the Grand Ole Opry with fiddling greats Vassar Clements and Aubrey Haynie. His performances also include playing for the 1996 Summer Olympics and appearing on the Country Music Association Awards Show with the band, Alabama. For eight years, Daniel was a member of the Celtic band, Full Moon Ensemble. Their unique blend of Irish, Scottish, and early American music was heard across the United States and worldwide from Ontario, Canada, to the hills of Campbeltown, Scotland.
A seasoned and diverse performer, Daniel is not only comfortable playing old-time, bluegrass, and contest-style, but Celtic, and classical as well. He studied violin privately for 8 years during which time he was concertmaster of The Huntsville Youth Orchestra and later a member of the Huntsville Symphony. Daniel’s studies led him to Vanderbilt’s Blair School of Music where he studied with Christian Teal. Daniel completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education in 1995.
In addition to Daniel’s five personal recordings, he has played on various other projects on Rounder, Sugar Hill, and Rebel Records. From Fame Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, to Music Row in Nashville, Tennessee, Daniel has recorded with Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, John Cowan, Jim Hurst, Claire Lynch, Michael English, Larry Cordle, and others. His participation in, “Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues,” earned him a nomination for Recorded Event of the Year from the International Bluegrass Music Association and climbed to number 8 on Billboard’s Bluegrass Chart. Daniel can also be found on Kenny and Amanda Smith’s Grammy nominated project, “Tell Someone” on Rebel Records. Daniel and Amy’s duo recording, Col Arco, reached number 5 on the Acoustic/Folk Radio Charts in August of 2007.
Daniel maintains a busy schedule teaching privately and as an instructor at numerous camps and workshops. He has instructed at Mark O’Connor’s Fiddle Camps and String Conferences the past 13 years and taught at Vanderbilt University’s International Fiddle School and the Swannanoa Gathering in Asheville, North Carolina.
When not performing or teaching, Daniel enjoys transcribing classic fiddle recordings, composing, and arranging. His meticulous attention to detail is displayed on his transcriptions of Mark O’Connor’s recording, “Soppin’ the Gravy.”
Join Talent Forge. Learn from Daniel.
Lessons By Daniel
- All Fiddle Lessons by Daniel Carwile
- All Guitar Lessons by Daniel Carwile
- All Tenor Guitar Lessons by Daniel Carwile
- All Lessons by Daniel Carwile
Or, study with Daniel one on one via Skype:
Buy 5 Hours and Save!
* Checkout is with PayPal. You can either use your PayPal account (if you have one) or any valid credit card.Join Talent Forge and Learn from Daniel
Lessons Taught by Daniel Carwile
- Tenor Guitar – The Basics: 06 – Chord Patterns
- Tenor Guitar – The Basics: 05 – Basic Strumming Patterns
- Tenor Guitar – The Basics: 04 – String Choice
- Tenor Guitar – The Basics: 03 – Pick Choice
- Tenor Guitar – The Basics: 02 – Right Hand Technique
- Tenor Guitar – The Basics: 01 – Introduction
- Cotton Patch Rag – Tenor Guitar
- Dusty Miller – Tenor Guitar
- Say Old Man – Tenor Guitar
- Cattle in the Cane – Tenor Guitar
- Tugboat – Tenor Guitar
- Whiskey Before Breakfast – Tenor Guitar
- Festival Waltz – Tenor Guitar
- Lady Be Good – Tenor Guitar
- Sweet Georgia Brown – Tenor Guitar
- Common Right Hand Patterns/Grooves – Tenor Guitar
- The Right Hand – The Secret Ingredient
- Double Stop Scales – 6ths
- Chops – Then and Now
- Double Stop Scales – 3rds
- Common Celtic Ornaments – Cuts and Rolls
- Contest Style Tenor Guitar – Key of D
- Contest Style Tenor Guitar – Key of A
- Contest Style Tenor Guitar – Key of G
- Contest Style Tenor Guitar – Introduction
- Contest Style Guitar Backup – Key of D
- Contest Style Guitar Backup – Key of A
- Contest Style Guitar Backup – Key of G
- Contest Style Guitar Backup – Introduction
- Swallowtail Jig
- Whiskey Before Breakfast – Intermediate+
- Soldier’s Joy
- President Garfield’s Hornpipe
- Liverpool Hornpipe
- Irish Washerwoman
- Haste to the Wedding
- Fisher’s Hornpipe – D
- Devil’s Dream
- Dennis Murphy’s Polka
- Cuckoo’s Nest
- Crafton’s Blues
- Black and White Rag
- Benny and Bea’s Waltz
- Arkansas Traveler
- Apple Blossom
- Amy’s Waltz